Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Is Jesus the Son of God or the Son of Joseph?

According to Matthew, there are "fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ" in this Geneology of Jesus, Matthew takes us from Abraham to David to the Exile and then to Joseph and from Joseph to Jesus.

Was he correct?

No, I don't think so and I'm a little confused as to just why no one else has mentioned this.

If you believe that God is Jesus' father, than Joseph is his step-father. Which means Joseph cannot be at the end of the genology trail, Mary must be. After all, it would make sense as everyone knows that the Jewish people do not count you as Jewish unless your mother was Jewish. Hence, even though my maternal grandfather was half-Jewish (his mother was Jewish), my mother and myself are not Jewish. The Jewishness of our family stops with my grandfather.

So, if the Jewish people always traced their history via their mothers, why was Matthew trying to trace Jesus' history via his step-father?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I just form them in my mind and decided to ask.

Blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home